It’s the opportunity to meet new people and make a difference that inspires Dan Fritz to volunteer for the Ending HIV Red Ribbon Appeal. 2017 will be his third year selling ribbons and collections donations for the annual fundraising drive.
“Selling ribbons is important to help fundraise for the appeal,” Fritz says. “It’s also important to raise awareness, meet new people and make our community aware that ACON is there for support and that they are working hard to help end HIV transmissions.”
Conducted by ACON, NSW’s leading HIV prevention, HIV support and LGBTI health organisation, the Ending HIV Red Ribbon Appeal raises money for community-based initiatives that aim to eliminate HIV transmissions in NSW by 2020.
The annual appeal is held in the lead up to, and including, World AIDS Day (December 1). This year, volunteers will hit the streets, community hubs and trains stations across NSW on Wednesday 29 November, Thursday 30 November and Friday 1 December. Participating businesses will also be selling red ribbons in the weeks leading up to World AIDS Day and fundraising events will be held at various locations in Sydney and regional NSW throughout November.
ACON CEO Nicolas Parkhill said the appeal is the organisation’s most important fundraising activity of the year.
“The money we raise through the Ending HIV Red Ribbon Appeal is vital to the work of ACON as it helps us run programs and services that are essential to ending the HIV epidemic in NSW,” Parkhill said.
He urged community members, their friends and allies to join the appeal and make a difference.
“Any contribution helps us to help others so please be generous and volunteer to be part of our team for World AIDS Day.”
GET INVOLVED WITH THE ENDING HIV RED RIBBON APPEAL
Sell Red Ribbons
You can volunteer to sell ribbons on the street, you can bulk order ribbons and sell them to family and friends, or you can order a countertop box and sell ribbons to your customers or colleagues.
- The 2017 Red Ribbon Street Appeal will take place on Wed 29 Nov, Thu 30 Nov and Fri 1 Dec
- Volunteers will be selling ribbons and merchandise and taking donations
- Shifts are available in a range of locations in Sydney’s CBD, Inner West, Bondi Junction, North Sydney and Parramatta as well as selected locations throughout regional NSW
- Morning, lunchtime and evening shifts are available
- Businesses can order countertop boxes stocked with ribbons and merchandise
- To register to volunteer in Sydney, click here
- To register to volunteer in regional NSW, click here
Buy Red Ribbons / Make a Donation
You can buy red ribbons online, on the street, or in participating shops and businesses. Or you can make a cash donation online.
- To buy merchandise online, click here
- To order red ribbon counter top boxes and merchandise and sell at your workplace, click here
- To make a donation, click here
Attend a Red Ribbon Appeal Fundraiser
There are a host of events being held in Sydney and regional NSW in support of the Ending HIV Red Ribbon Appeal, including the charity concert Hats Off on November 20 at the Sydney Lyric. Attend a fundraiser and help make a difference. View the calendar of events here
Image: Red Ribbon Appeal volunteer Dan Fritz (right) with ACON’s Teddy Cook (left) and Maria Christodoulou